My new minimalist beauty blogger pledge – Thou shall not hoard
I’m sure you all remember my epic haulage from last year when I was Stateside but in case you didn’t see it the first time here it is again in all it’s glory! I still have loads of products to review hence the now extended spending ban until I got back to the homeland end of May. I’ve realised since becoming a fully fledged beauty blogger two years ago this month I’ve picked up some habits that prohibit my normal usage of products.
I’ve lost count how many times I’ve come home with new goodies from Boots/Superdrug/TK Maxx and not used anything till it’s been photographed. Then said items stay in my special box because I don’t have time to take photos or there is bad natural light. Then because I’ve started to accumulate many things in the special box, I need to start making lists of what I haven’t reviewed because now the box is overflowing and spilling into drawers. Well in a bid to become more minimalist this year I’m throwing out the old rules and making new ones:
- New purchases shall be tried straight away – no stowing away in a drawer/box/cupboard only to see the light of day three months later. This means taking off the plastic or shock horror opening the box it comes in – do you really care about the box?
- Photographs will only be taken after the product has been tested – Do things need to be brand new when you photograph them? The only exception I’ll make to this rule is scrubs that come in tubs. These should always be photographed in pristine condition for your viewing pleasure.
- No more lists – Now I know this works for some people but it’s never worked for me. If I need spreadsheets to tell me what I need to review then I have too much stuff.
- Keep it simple – God created cute Paperchase puffy stickers so all new purchases shall be stuck with a sticker and when it’s been reviewed, said sticker will be removed.
- Set a maximum number for any kind of product I use – I don’t need 20 different face masks at any one time or shower gels, body lotions, lip balms etc.
Do you get overwhelmed with all the stuff you have or are you super organised and only get a few things at a time? What do you think of my rules, would they work for you? Let me know!